Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Judith McNaught - A Kingdom of Dreams

Abducted from her convent school, headstrong Jennifer does not easily surrender to Royce Westmoreland, Duke of Claymore. Known as "The Wolf", his very name strikes terror in the hearts of his enemies. But proud Jennifer will have nothing to do with this man who holds her captive, this handsome rogue who taunts her with his blazing arrogance Boldly she challenges his will until the night he takes her in his powerful embrace, awakening in her an irresistible hunger. And suddenly Jennifer finds herself ensnared in a bewildering web ... a seductive, dangerous trap of pride, passion, loyalty... and overwhelming love.

Comment: Another first try for a new author to me.
I've read some critics about this author's books before and I was a bit worried about how I'd see this book myself. It's obvious we are influenced by everything we read and know before starting a new book. It's inevitable that we compare it to other things...plus having read critics, my worries were real.
However, I was happily made wrong.

Royce is one of those heroes that are strong, protective and possessive. In those times, I guess it was how things were. Of course the feminist side of me is a bit bothered of all that treatment of women, of what they mean...but ok, it's an historical, we have to see things like that.

Royce came across a very cool character, someone who knows what to do and that behaved in the best way possible considering the things hapenning.
Jennifer surprised me I thought she might be a brat the whole book and I was ready to hate her (misleaded influences?) but throughout the book she convinced me of her changing feelings and that she was really falling in love with Royce. Their romance was very beautiful to see.

The writing style didn't say much too me, I wasn't dazzled with the writing, I've read better, for sure, but I think simple can be better than trying to do more than you can, so...
The historical accuracy, well I can't say if it's really well done, but apart from creative options I was happy with the novel, nothing caught my eye as too stupid. In the end I had a great time reading it and that's what matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment