Sunday, November 30, 2014

Lisa Kleypas - It Happened One Autumn

It happened at the ball...
Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.
It happened in the garden...
When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously—swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed...thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!
It happened one autumn...
Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable...as his bride?


Comment: This is the second installment in the Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas. Having loved the first book and based on the hints about this one's couple, I was really eager to get started and thankfully, I wasn't disappointed.

This is the story of Lilian Bowman, one of the American sisters who is looking for a husband as her parents want. Lilian, however, isn't the quiet and demure young lady Englishmen seem to want. She especially dislikes men like Lord Westcliff who look down on her but she won't change who she is for no one.
Lord Westcliff knows miss Bowman is completely out of her comfort zone in England trying to find a titled husband. She acts and talks out of place. But there's something about her he can't push aside and the more he sees her, the more their attraction grows...

I really had a great time reading this book. I think it was both entertaining and easy to follow. The story didn't drag and as far as I remember, I wasn't bored once with this story.
This book had some of its foundation in the first book, because the main characters met there and their relationship started to develop there too. This book was a sort of turnabout because they could know each other and spend more time together and they didn't hate each other that much after all.

This is one of those enemies to lovers plot. Lilian and Marcus, lord Westcliff, didn't care much for the other's opinion nor about how they seemed to be on the others' eyes. In this book they had to be civil to each other, although almost everything in the other seemed wrong for them. Lilian thought Marcus to be rigid and too serious, a rock, but she learned he had feelings, he took his honor and obligations very seriously yes, but that is what made him the man he is and she finally understood why he is that way, why he seems to be always in control.
Marcus thought Lilian a simple careless young woman but she looked at him without fear or blind devotion and he was more fascinated than repulsed although he tried to avoid such thoughts.

I think these two were the heroes of this novel, their behavior and interactions seemed realistic because despite their animosity they managed to talk and to slowly change their minds about the other. I liked how this seemed to take its time so the romance didn't feel rushed. Their time together was hot and he chemistry was believable, so that part seemed a success too. I liked how they gave and took from each other but always within credible boundaries. In the end I could say they were perfect for each other.

There are conflicts in this book, but personally I didn't find them as challenging as I thought in the beginning. The opposing characters only seemed to emphasize the couple's relationship, which I'm sure was one of the goals, but overall, this aspect of the book didn't seem to run as smoothly as the romance. I can't say it was bad, because it got its aim, but since I noticed this, I would have to say that for me, it could have been done better.

I liked the wallflowers' interaction as well. I'm glad to see that, despite the fact they led different lives, when they meet or managed to be together they are friends and have friendly conversations. I understand the fact this book is a romance and the focus should be on it, but once again, personally, I wouldn't mind more "friends" time.

All in all, this book was great and apart from some small issues, I loved it and it was even better than the first in terms of romance. Now I can't wait for the next one, which I hope it's as good or better than this one.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment