Thursday, March 23, 2017

JD Tyler - Black Moon

A group of former Navy SEALS, the Alpha Pack is a top-secret team of wolf shifters with Psy powers combating the greatest dangers in the world. But sometime those dangers are more intimate than they bargained for…
Ever since he saved Dr. Mackenzie Grant’s life, panther shifter and sorcerer Kalen Black has had trouble keeping the beautiful doctor out of his thoughts, and his heart. The brush with death awakened an intense passion between them—one that for the first time had the notorious loner letting down his guard.
With the Alpha Pack battling an evil Fae who is slowly gaining control over Kalen’s mind, Kalen can no longer trust his own actions, and he breaks off his affair with Mackenzie in order to keep her safe. But when Mackenzie learns that she is carrying Kalen’s child, no amount of danger will keep her away from the man she loves. To be with his mate and unborn child, Kalen will have to unleash the full fury of his power, and risk destroying them all…


Comment: This is the third installment in the Alpha Pack series by author JD Tyler. I didn't particularly like the first book but the second somehow won me over and I was eager to see if this improving trend would continue. I didn't have as much fun reading this one as I did with the second but there enough elements to make me want to read the next one, at least.

This book features Kalen, one of the youngest members of the pack, and a sorcerer. Kalen has been suffering with the influence of Malik, the villain behind many of the bad things that have happened and with which the pack has had to deal with.
Kalen also deals with his feelings towards Mackenzie, one of the compound's doctors, and the fact she is his mate. They can't seem to agree on their relationship because of Kalen's issues with his own perception and the bad influence that takes a toll on him, but will Kalen be able to overcome all that in order to be free and find happiness with Mac?

This story focused very heavily on Kalen's struggle to fight against the influence of Malik. We've been knowing about this since book #1 and it's obvious it was a difficult part of plot, how could Kalen simply fight the influence Malik had on him. In a way, this made sense, after all, this was an important part of things, but I also admit it felt like it was the only things going on. I think it would have suited the story a lot more if we could have had more interactions between Kalen and everyone else in the pack.

The romance between Mac and Kalen had its moments... I don't mind seeing them together but as it usually happens in the genre, it revolved a little too much on physical scenes and not much on their intellectual or emotional matching. Yes, they say things but the way they act doesn't always seem very appropriate to what they say. Oh well.
It also annoyed me a bit because it's one of my per peeves, that she was older. I can't remember by how much, and I really don't care but just knowing got in my way of reading everything else.
I guess the relationship isn't badly done overall, but more scenes with them just getting their bond stronger would have added the reader to feel more confident in the certainty of their feelings.

The plot outside Malik's influence seemed very non existent. What else is happening? After the way this book ended, it seems books will be more centered on couples again? I hope so, because that is one of the best elements in the stories. I guess I'd love to have the sense of community for everyone to be more accentuated in each book. I really hope that happens in the next installment.

I think the author has a great concept here, interesting details and situations in which characters need to prove themselves. For a paranormal romance, things seem to be well placed. But I think every series needs something to make it more compelling than something else, in order to grab and keep out attention. I just wish things could go a more personality/character interaction way than a usual bad guy fighting/sex with mate when possible kind of story so often seen in these books.
I liked this book overall, but it won't be a favorite for sure.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment