Saturday, June 3, 2017

Lauren Blakely - Mister O

Making a woman feel 'oh-god-that's-good' is the name of the game, and if a man can't get the job done, he should get the hell out of the bedroom. I'm talking toe-curling, mind-blowing, sheet-grabbing ecstasy. Like I provide every time.
I suppose that makes me a superhero of pleasure, and my mission is to always deliver.
But then I'm thrown for a loop when a certain woman asks me to teach her everything about how to win a man. The only problem? She's my best friend's sister, but she's far too tempting to resist--especially when I learn that sweet, sexy Harper has a dirty mind too and wants to put it to good use. What could possibly go wrong as I give the woman I've secretly wanted some no-strings-attached lessons in seduction?
No one will know, even if we send a few dirty sexts. Okay, a few hundred. Or if the zipper on her dress gets stuck. Not on that! Or if she gives me those f*&k-me-eyes on the train in front of her whole family.
The trouble is the more nights I spend with her in bed, the more days I want to spend with her out of bed. And for the first time ever, I'm not only thinking about how to make a woman cry out in pleasure --I'm thinking about how to keep her in my arms for a long time to come.
Looks like the real Adventures of Mister Orgasm have only just begun...


Comment: The first book read in June. I got interested in it because of the male POV (not that common in romance) and the clueless heroine but it turned out the execution wasn't as great as the blurb and some positive opinions led me to believe...

In this novel, we meet Nick Hammer, he's a writer/cartoonist and he has a hit show adapted to tv. His show is about the adventures of Mister O, a funny character who rescues women by giving them orgasms which is, on its own, silly and weird enough but people seem to love it. Nick has everything going on for him, including the perfect female best friend who he secretly lusts and genuinely cares about but who seems to not realize it. Because she's his best friend's younger sister, he never tried to flirt or have something with her until now. She asks his help to understand and interact with a guy she is interested in and things rapidly progress to unknown territory for both of them...but can they still be close friends if things get too weird?

Contemporary romance is one of the genres I like to read but I have to confess I'm very picky and some books just seem more erotica than romance which can be quite the let down...
I guess this was my biggest problem with this book, it started pretty well but then it seemed all was only about sex and fulfilling sex fantasies and where's the character development?

I really liked how this was told from the guy's POV. It's not that common in romance and when it does, it's not first person. I liked the novelty of it, at least to me it was.
Nick was a good person and that shows in his thoughts and speech even if he does think a lot about sex. But he had a professional side and a personal one I liked, he had friends and he wasn't arrogant.
His friendship with Harper, the heroine, was funny at first but their romance wasn't something I appreciated much.

The problem of the romance is its definition. We are told to believe Nick had strong feelings for Harper - even when he didn't called them that - but Harper wasn't interested in him and asks him help to understand men and be able to talk to the ones she liked. However, it's so obvious - except for narrator Nick of course - that she does like him and pretends to need help so they can approach one another and maybe test the waters (my interpretation). How can this heroine be labeled clueless about men or clumsy in their presence seems stupid when we see her interact with Nick. I would have loved a really unsure heroine but this way it just felt silly. I'm not very fond of games even if they are innocent in the beginning but here it got to a point where they flirted and Nick - such a connoisseur of women - wasn't aware of it? Then they get together and things change but their relationship lost all value to me because it was only about sex at that point.

The HEA is sweet enough but I think it lacked depth and situations to make their romance feel solid. There is a slight conflict that put some perspective into Nick mostly, but it didn't make me change my mind about the overall feel of the story. I guess I felt this story was a bit too superficial. 
This makes me a bit sad because authors (in general) have amazing ideas, amazing concepts but they turn that into erotica which makes the stories feel so "unrefined" if I can say the world.

This is considered a stand alone title and that is why I picked it. It's loosely connected, however, with other titles so in one way I think it can be considered part of a series. There is one title before this one and I've seen others after. There's one in particular I'd like to read but I'm afraid it will be like this one, too focused on sex at some point and how annoying that could be. 
Oh well, considering the opinions, I'm sure it worked out for many people.
Grade: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment