Friday, July 7, 2017

Nalini Singh - Silver Silence

Control. Precision. Family. These are the principles that drive Silver Mercant. At a time when the fledgling Trinity Accord seeks to unite a divided world, with Silver playing a crucial role as director of a worldwide emergency response network, wildness and chaos are the last things she needs in her life. But that’s exactly what Valentin Nikolaev, alpha of the StoneWater Bears, brings with him.
Valentin has never met a more fascinating woman. Though Silver is ruled by Silence—her mind clear of all emotion—Valentin senses a whisper of fire around her. That’s what keeps him climbing apartment buildings to be near her. But when a shadow assassin almost succeeds in poisoning Silver, the stakes become deadly serious…and Silver finds herself in the heart of a powerful bear clan.
Her would-be assassin has no idea what their poison has unleashed...


Comment: As many other readers, this is a book much well anticipated by me. I was very eager to read it not only because it would be one more installment in this magnificent series no matter the fact it's also labeled as the 1st in a new arc) but also because it's the return to a world readers certainly love and I often imagine how amazing it would be to actually live in such a world, especially if we could live among the characters we met in the books.
(I bet lots of readers think like me!)

In this new book, we have Silver Mercant's story. She is a secondary character who we know as Kaleb Krycheck's assistant.
This book begins with Silver being poisoned but helped by Valentin Nikolaev, the alpha of the bear changeling group who lives in Moscow, where Silver's house is. Valentin has tried to use subtlety to court Silver but he is very glad he was there at the right time to help her. Since it seemed the person who might have tried to kill Silver belongs to her family, it's decided she will stay with Valentin's clan so she can't be easily accessible by strangers. This is the best news Valentin could have because not only can he keep an eye on her but he can let her see how good the two could be together. The problem is that Silver's Silence is crumbling and that can be the end of who she is...

Before saying some things about what I liked the book and such, I would like to mention that I understand why some readers haven't liked this book much. Let's see:
- This is a repetitive book. Well, in one hand, yes because we have more of the same, the world building is still here and behind details, the type or romance is something we've had previously. Personally, I like that, I love I can trust the author to not go overboard or crazy with the world "rules".
- This is boring. Ok, some scenes and situations aren't very vibrant and there are some non action parts. But it's so fun to simply have daily routines, to have simplicity in character's actions and for me it was just one more glimpse of the characters' lives, which is always a positive.
-The use of "Silver Fucking Mercant" as a nickname for Silver. Yes, it's used often and not always with any necessary meaning except to give us the notion she would always be considered special by those who saw her as amazing and special and powerful in her own right. I confess I didn't like it either but it wasn't such a bothersome...

What I liked the best was the introduction of a new clan, the bears, and as all changelings as a rule, they are amazing. It was even quite the novelty how they were facing a situation we haven't seen portrayed in other changeling groups in the series.
I also really liked how we got to have an idea of the individual bears, they weren't just there to fill up space because Silver was among them for a while. How I wish I could read more domestic scenes in this world, I'm fascinated by the relationships created among characters and their interactions.
It was also fantastic to glimpse the idea there is a gay relationship on the making here. I wonder if this is meant to be further explored or mentioned. 

The main romance is interesting, relatively balanced and I liked to see them together, as a team, to work out towards a common goal and to simple be that special person to the other. The relationship seemed to work out well but to me, Silver being so pragmatic and practical and being more reserved as Valentin, going from that point to the next was a bit too quick. I get back to the fist book in the whole series and how more gradual it felt Sascha gave in to Lucas.
But all in all, this was a positive story and I'm already curious about what comes next.

Some readers also mention the plot, the idea there are better Psy than others, that we are given scenarios to convince us of who is supposed to be a good character and not...I get all this, I understand the clinical aspect of all, the more analytical side of the world but I guess I'm not a in depth reader because all that is secondary to me and I just like to imagine the world and living in it. I don't really care about the politics and the more cerebral issues.

All in all, a great new story, not the best or more romantic, but it still offered enough amazing elements to my POV for me to enjoy and love it.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment