Saturday, August 12, 2017

Sophie Kinsella - I've Got Your Number

A couple of glasses of bubbly with the girls and Poppy's life has gone into meltdown. Not only has she lost her engagement ring, but in the panic that followed, she's lost her phone too. When she spots an abandoned phone in a bin it seems it was meant to be…Finders Keepers!
Except the phone's owner, elusive businessman Sam Roxton, doesn't agree. He wants his phone back, and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life. Can things get any more tangled?

Comment: I wouldn't say I consider myself a huge fan of Sophie Kinsella but I did read many of her books. Some, as always, have been more enjoyable than others to me but this one had led me to expect good things, especially considering the good opinion of some people who don't usually appreciate much the chick lit sub genre.

In this book we meet Poppy Wyatt, a young woman who is engaged and will marry very soon but when the story starts, she has just lost the family heirloom ring she was presented with when her fiancé proposed. While looking for it, what she finds instead is a "discarded" cell phone in a garbage bin. She immediately takes it since her own was stolen but apparently it's a company phone and the boss is on the other side demanding Poppy to return the phone but of course Poppy gets herself in quite the situation and somehow she and Sam, the apparent "owner" of the phone start sharing the phone, enabling them both to be together in funny but interestingly necessary situations.
But Poppy's life is sorted at last, will she be ready to say goodbye to her new found friend?

Unlike some of the other books by the author which I sometimes think are too obvious in the attempt to be funny, this one felt a bit more balanced when it comes to the amount of funny/comedy scenes v the more serious ones. Maybe this is why I found this story in particular more to my liking than some others.

I liked Poppy and her personality and I especially liked how such a likable person she seems to be and it was quite easy to imagine her as someone real I could be friends with. Interestingly, I saw in her not many of the usual traits of the type of characters the author uses as her protagonists, and this has definitely made me appreciate the story more. I was very eager to see Poppy succeed and understand the things wrong in her life.

The plot is filled with sometimes silly situations one could only see in movies and not real life, but I liked how each detail somehow let us know a bit more about Poppy and her relationship. I liked how the author has crated Poppy's personality and background and how that made this heroine more likeable. I kind of could guess some things so in terms of originality, the story isn't as perfect as that but the premise is probable enough for the situations to be more acceptable, unlike some plots in other books.

Sharing the phone makes us see through the lives of both Poppy and Sam and it's quite interesting how we get to know them both quite well though some apparent inconsequential details. Of course, we kind of are led to expect Poppy's close wedding doesn't seem to be such a great choice but the author has made this situation solve itself quite well and although I'd have enjoyed a more obvious HEA, it was still quite amazing as it was.
Something I also liked was to get to know about Poppy and Sam's pasts and how serious they were when it mattered.

I really had a great time reading this story and I can understand why this must be one of the fans' favorite. Hopefully more books will be more alike this one instead of some others.I actually think Poppy must be my favorite Kinsella heroine. Except for one or two plot decisions which I think have dragged the story here and there, this was quite a great book and I will certainly remember it fondly and will likely re-read my favorite scenes often.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment